THE LIGHT MERIDIAN LINE HAS BEEN INAUGURATED BY SVEN GATZ, FLEMISH MINISTER FOR CULTURE AT BLANKENBERGE ON JULY 21, 2016
in the presence of CARL DECALUWÉ, west flanders’ governor, PATRICK DE KLERCK, mayor of Blankenberge#BE, KRIS DECLERCQ, mayor of Roeselare#BE, PHILIP KONINGS, cultural councillor of Blankenberge#BE and BART WENES, cultural councillor of Roeselare#BE
THE LIGHT MERIDIAN LINE
through any place on earth an imaginary north-south line runs from the north pole to the south pole: a longitude or meridian. simultaneously for all places on the meridian, the sun shines every day a few moments perpendicular to the meridian ( at the 'real’ afternoon: the apogee).
on the local 3°7’45” the lighthouse of the casino of blankenberge #be indicates the northern entry point in europe and ‘el faro’ of palamós #es indicates the southern point. therefore, this longitude is called “the light meridian"
this tight straight line will now be visualised by natural and artistic 'in situ’ works: THE LIGHT MERIDIAN LINE
an info center has been created at roeselare #BE by the muze’um L of Light and Landscape
THE LIGHT MERIDIAN LINE ON A MAP
3°7’45” to the East of greenwich
interconnecting in situ art on a straight line blankenberge (be) - lagos (ng)
1. the light meridian line crosses fields, forests, mountains, valleys, rivers, municipalities and cities.
2. the light meridian line wants to be visualized by in situ creations in all forms and disciplines of in situ art
3. three european cities located on the light-meridian line provisionally manage the project
4. more municipalities, foundations, landowners on that line will be asked to participate and to stimulate in situ creations on their property.
5. a tourist art guide (which needs only latitude coordinates) can be made
6. a first in situ architecture is located on the line under the name of “muze’um L, Light, Landscape and Longitude” acts as an information center and collection point.
THE LIGHT MERIDIAN LINE: WHERE ART INTERCONNECTS
the light meridian line: where art interconnects sites, authorities, artists and people on one line of natural and creative beauty
the private muze’um L (Light & Landscape) on site zilverberg has been inaugurated on 21 sept. 2014 by the mayor of the city of roeselare and former minister of culture for the flemish government / architect marc van schuylenbergh proposes a minimalist architecture that literally captures the light meridian: a longitudinal cleft runs through a white rectangular building (view information center)